The Africa Group of the European Peacebuilding Liaison Office (EPLO) have sent a contribution highlighting the importance of peace and security aspects being taken into consideration in all aspects of the strategy. They urge that the following points be incorprated into the strategy:
- The EU should support building African Union capacity in peace and security with a comprehensive view of peacebuilding.
- All EU engagement should be “conflict sensitive.”
- EU support should coherently and effectively utilize all tools at its disposal.
- EU engagement should uphold all previous commitments and policies on conflict prevention, small arms and light weapons reduction, children an armed conflict, and policy coherence in development.
- Implementation, civil society and local engagement, and the positive impact on the people should be at the forefront.
- The Strategy should include a joint evaluation process.
Download the contribution in full – doc
EPLO has also formed an ad hoc cluster to input into the EU-Africa Strategy consisting of various papers from their member organisations – html
See contributions by other organisations here.
Post your comments