AU Within the framework of the EU-Africa Infrastructure Partnership objectives to support increased investment in Infrastructure in Africa’s regional and continental-level, the “Port Moresby Agreement” under 9th EDF funding, provides financing for the preparation of priority actions and studies in the transport, energy and ICT sectors, identified by the AUC, in association with other stakeholders, for implementation.
One of the main objectives of the “Port Moresby Agreement” is to prepare projects for future funding by the Trust Fund, in association with other funding agencies and, eventually, private sector actors. The total amount of the Port Moresby agreement is Ten million Euros (€10,000,000.00).
Following the Technical Assistance agreement concluded between AUC and Egis Bceom International, on the 29th January, 2010, this Contracts’ Signing Ceremony marks another mile stone in the implementation of the EU-Africa partnership.
The Technical Assistance which aimed at supporting the Department in charge of Infrastructure and Energy of the AUC with regard to preparatory Actions and Studies for the Formulation, Preparation and service Management, lead to the selection of Contractors.
During 11 months, both AUC and Egis Bceom team worked on realizing these major steps from identification of priority projects, implementation process and projects planning to the selection of the seven (7) final contractors, who will officially sign their respective contract during this Ceremony.
The selected are projects:
- Operationalisation of the Executing Agency of the Yamoussoukro Decision with an indicative budget of Euro 520,000
- Technical Advocacy and Support Activities for Gambia Bridge Project with an indicative budget of Euro 800,000
- Feasibility Study for western Section of Beira-Lobito Corridor with an indicative budget of Euro 1,850,000
- Regional Transport study of Trans-African Highway no. 3 with Pre-feasibility Study of Selected Road Sections and Strategic Options study for Regional Ports with an indicative budget of Euro 950,000
- Comprehensive Markey analysis and Options Study for Implementation, Operation and financing of Cotonou-Niamey-Ouagadougou Railway with an indicative budget of Euro 1,100,000.
- Technical Assistance to AUC for African Energy Policy Agenda (Hydropower2020), Capacity Building Actions and Strategy for Development of Inga Hydropower Site with an indicative budget of Euro 1,250,000
- Support for development of African ICT Broadband Backbone and Related Policy Objectives and a System of Interconnected Regional Database for Infrastructure with an indicative budget of Euro 950,000
- Operationalisation of the Executing Agency of the Yamoussoukro Decision with an indicative budget of Euro 199,999, simplified procedure.
The distinctiveness of this activity is not only its important financial value but also the preeminent involvement of African Union Members States, as well as strategic Partners and other strategic AUC Departments in the various activities of its implementation.
Post your comments