AU The Peace and Security Council of the African Union (AU), at its 297th meeting, held on 20 October 2011, adopted the following decision on AU’s efforts in the Republic of Sudan and the Republic of South Sudan and on the activities of the AU High Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP)on Sudan:
1. Takes note of the briefing by the Commissioner for Peace and Security, as well as of statement made by the Permanent Representatives of the Republic of Sudan, the Republic of South Sudan and the representative of Inter‐Governmental Authority for Development (IGAD);
2. Pays tribute to the AUHIP and its members, former Presidents Thabo Mbeki, Abdulsalami Abubakar and Pierre Buyoya, as well as to the support team, for their tireless efforts in the discharge of the mandate entrusted to the Panel;
3. Expresses appreciation to the Parties for the cooperation they have extended to the AUHIP, and calls on them to continue to work with the Panel to finalize all outstanding issues;
4. Recognizes that the work of the AUHIP is not yet completed, and, in this regard, decides that the mandate of the Panel be extended for a period of one year, to enable it to facilitate completion of the outstanding issues, in line with the relevant decisions of Council and the recommendations of the AU High‐Level Panel on Darfur (AUPD); Council requests the Chairperson of the Commission to give effect to this decision;
5. Calls on the international community to continue to support the work of the AUHIP, which is the best placed body to lead and coordinate African and international efforts regarding Sudan and South Sudan and their bilateral relations;
6. Decides to meet in November to consider the situation in Sudan and South Sudan on the basis of a comprehensive report to be submitted by the AUHIP to the Chairperson of the Commission.
Post your comments